Monday 16 May 2011

Bad Mom, No Sleep

Dear Claire Bear,
You're momma isn't being very good at keeping up to date on your letters! You're almost five months old now and I don't know where time is going. It seems like you just got here but at the same time I can't imagine life without you.

So I'm blaming the lack of posts on your sudden and severe sleep regression. I congratulate you! You had us all fooled. We thought we were those lucky parents who had a baby that slept through the night (mostly) for about a month and then it all went to hell. You  have decided that 3am is an acceptable time to begin the day. I creep over to your crib thinking I'll just be able to pop your soother back in and you'll fall blissfully asleep but when I peek over the edge of your crib you're all smiles and so excited to see me you are practically vibrating. It usually takes about an hour to get you back to sleep and then you are up again every
half hour (or hour if you're feeling generous) playing the sleepy time equivalent of "are we there yet". Finally 6am rolls around and your daddy and I try and bribe each other to get up with you. Usually I win because Daddy has to get up at 6:30am to get ready for work anyway. And thus begins the day.

Other than the shitty sleep, life with you is pretty good. You're a generally happy baby and you're getting more and more interactive. In fact you're a bit of a diva. If no one is paying attention to you when you decide it's time you have no problem making yourself heard. You have favorite toys now (currently your butterfly crazy thing, the gourd rattle, and you crinkly book). You still like to be in your swing but you're getting to big for your bouncer. You have a thousand different smiles and everyone is totally smitten with you. My favorite is the one you pull out when you're meeting new people. It's the big grin followed by hiding in moms shoulder and peeking out at the new person. Guaranteed to melt hearts and elicit compliments and 'awwww's of delight.

I mustn't forget to mention that you rolled over! I missed it. Sort of.  We were at your nans house playing on the floor. I looked away for one second (the beautiful man from the new movie Thor came on tv...couldn't help myself) and when I looked back down at you, you were on your tummy with a very surprised look on your face. At first I thought it was a fluke but then you did it again the next day and again today. Guess this means your on the road to mobility! Must make note to self: begin baby proofing.

Here are some bullet points of other notable things since the last letter.
  • You now sleep on your side with your hands tucked under your chin. This is exactly how I sleep.
  • You are no longer swaddled. It was a contest of wills but I won (with the help of wine, for me not you)
  • You are laughing real belly laughs more and more. Peek-a-boo is almost guaranteed to make you laugh
  • You still don't nap. Your four month 1+ hour nap was a freak occurrence and it seems like I spend all my time trying to get a repeat from you.
That's all my sleep deprived mind can come up with at the moment. Now I'm going to enjoy a nice bath while you're asleep for the night. By writing that I've probably jinxed it and you'll be up any minute.
Love you (even though you're a little sleep monster),
Mom

1 comment:

  1. Love the description of the "big grin, shy peek from the shoulder", lol. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete