Tuesday 22 March 2011

Better Late Than Never

March 21, 2010
Dear Claire Bear,
I know I'm a little late to this blog thing (since you're three months old and all) but it's taken this long to get over the fact that you are finally here and it's not all a wonderful (and sometimes terrifying) dream. I can't imagine life before you (and with the sleep deprivation I definitely can't remember life before you!) and I fall more and more in love with you every day.

The first month was a whirlwind of nursing, diaper changes, crying and sleep deprivation. I had a hard time with the baby blues for a couple of weeks but once that was in the past I could finally enjoy being a mommy. I loved you from the start, I just had to get to know you a little better before I finally realized you were mine. You've changed so much since then. I can barely remember the unfocused little baby who hated getting changed and slept all day and was awake all night.

You're second month is a lot clearer in my memory. You started becoming more of a little person who was interested in the world (and occasionally let your poor mama and daddy get a bit sleep). This, the third, month is just blowing me away. You change and discover new things daily. You're constantly laughing and smiling and now you're learning which toys you like best. Just this week you've discovered that you love being held facing outwards. It's a sign of your growing curiosity in the world around you. You still don't quite know what to do with those wiggly things on the end of your arms but they fascinate you. I'm going to try and keep posting to this blog fairly often but I can't make any promises as being your mom is a full time job. I've written down some random tidbits from the past months and I'm sure I'll remember more things to add.
  • You make a funny froggy face just before you're going to cry (gives us a bit of warning). If we don't do something to remedy whatever has got you upset you start screaming. There is no building up to it...you just let loose. You're a diva that way.
  • You are also pretty quick to calm down if we manage to figure out whatever is bothering you. However you don't like to let us think we've won so you keep up with the occasional yell for a few minutes afterwards, but we can tell you don't really mean it.
  • Unless you are seriously freaking out, a diaper change will almost always calm you down. You are happiest when you're naked. I do hope you learn to enjoy wearing clothes at some point, preferably before you hit those dreaded teenage years...for your dads sake anyway. He's already having nightmares about keeping the boys away from you.
  • In the morning you are sometimes awake for a half hour before we get you up. You're usually laughing and cooing and looking eager to start your day. Sometimes you get so excited to be taken out of your swaddle that you flail around excitedly and give a big open mouth happy-screech
  • You've started sucking on your fists but you don't have great control yet. Sometimes you stuff them so far in your mouth you make yourself gag but you can't figure out how to get them back out again. Lack of hand/arm control also means you pull your own hair and pinch your stomach which then makes you cry. When we laugh at you, you look as though we've mortally offended you.
  • You love when people stick out their tongue at you.
  • You're more interested in hearing poetry than reading children's books. Shakespeare sonnets usually capture your attention for a few minutes.
  • You are outgrowing all your little clothes at a fantastic rate. I tear up every time I have to put a tiny little outfit in the 'too small' pile.
Loving you more and more everyday,
Your Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment